George Zelcs focuses his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation including antitrust, consumer fraud, pharmaceutical, qui tam/whistleblower, and securities litigation in state and federal courts. Prior to joining Korein Tillery, Mr. Zelcs was a partner at Clausen Miller in Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Zelcs completed his undergraduate education at Indiana University (B.A. Political Science, Urban Planning, and Sociology) in 1976. He received his law degree at Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1979, and was admitted to practice law in Illinois in 1979. He is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia (2010), the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2012), Fourth Circuit (2015), Fifth Circuit (1999), Seventh Circuit (1980), Eighth Circuit (1996), Ninth Circuit (2013), Tenth Circuit (1982), and Eleventh Circuit (1993); the United States Tax Court (1984), the United States Court of Federal Claims (2013), the Supreme Court of the United States (2005) and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern District of Illinois.
Mr. Zelcs is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and The Bar Association for the District of Columbia. Throughout his years of practice, he has concentrated on complex commercial litigation. Mr. Zelcs was first selected as a Leading Illinois Attorney in 1993 and also as an Illinois Super Lawyer. He was selected as a Finalist for the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Trial Lawyer of the Year Award in 2003 for his work on the Price vs. Philip Morris USA class action case and in 2013 for the City of Greenville vs. Syngenta Crop Protection, Inc. cases. He serves on the Chicago-Kent College of Law Board of Advisors and as a Charter Trustee of Illinois College.
Mr. Zelcs has conducted numerous jury trials in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has participated in arbitration proceedings in foreign venues. He has obtained settlements or judgments ranging from fifteen million to in excess of ten billion dollars for his clients.
He has frequently served as lead counsel in numerous complex multi-party litigations. Most recently, he represented the National Credit Union Administration in mortgage backed securities litigation against certain global investment banks resulting in $5,163,273,692 in recoveries for the NCUA. He also has served as one of the plaintiffs’ lead counsel in ongoing foreign exchange antitrust and contract litigation that has resulted in excess of $2.2 billion dollars in settlements for class members.
Mr. Zelcs has testified, at the invitation of the New York State Assembly and its Standing Committee on Insurance, regarding financial guaranty insurance and representations and warranties made by mortgage originators in secured debt transactions.
Areas of Practice
- Securities Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam
- Environmental Law
- Unfair Competition
- Consumer Protection
- Illinois, 1979
- District of Columbia, 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1993
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2005
- U.S. Tax Court, 1984
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Indiana University
- B.A. – 1976
- Major: Political Science, Urban Planning, and Sociology
Honors and Awards
- Leading Illinois Attorney, 1993
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- Finalist for the Trial Lawyers For Public Justice Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, 2003, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Clausen Miller, Chicago, Illinois, Partner