George Zelcs focuses his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation including consumer fraud, qui tam/whistleblower, securities, pharmaceutical and antitrust litigation in state and federal courts. Prior to joining Korein Tillery, Mr. Zelcs was a partner at Clausen Miller in Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Zelcs completed his undergraduate education at Indiana University (B.A. Political Science, Urban Planning, and Sociology) in 1976. He received his law degree at Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1979, and was admitted to practice law in Illinois in 1979. He is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia (2010), before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1999), Seventh Circuit (1980), Eighth Circuit (1996), Tenth Circuit (1982), and Eleventh Circuit (1993), the United States Tax Court (1984), the Supreme Court of the United States (2005) and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern District of Illinois.
Mr. Zelcs is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Trial Lawyers Association, and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. Throughout his years of practice, he has concentrated on complex commercial litigation. Mr. Zelcs was first selected as a Leading Illinois Attorney in 1993 and also as an Illinois Super Lawyer. He was selected as a Finalist in 2003 for the Trial Lawyers For Public Justice Trial Lawyer of the Year Award for his work on the Price vs. Philip Morris USA class action case. He serves on the Leadership Circle of the Prescription Access Litigation Project. PAL is a coalition of over 125 non-profit organizations in 35 states including labor, senior citizens, health advocacy and women’s health groups that engages in litigation regarding fair pricing for prescription drugs.
Mr. Zelcs has conducted numerous jury trials in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has participated in arbitration proceedings in foreign venues. He has obtained numerous settlements or judgments ranging from fifteen million to in excess of ten billion dollars for his clients in various state and federal jurisdictions.
He has frequently served as lead counsel with responsibility for the coordination of the litigation activities of lawyers from multiple law firms representing common interests in numerous complex multi-party litigations including, most recently, In re Motor Fuel Temperature Sales Litigation.
Mr. Zelcs has testified, at the invitation of the New York State Assembly and its Standing Committee on Insurance, regarding financial guaranty insurance and representations and warranties made by mortgage originators in secured debt transactions.
Mr. Zelcs spoke at the Risk Summit 2012 conference addressing the current status of litigation brought by investors who have incurred losses on mortgage backed securities and CDO’s.
Mr. Zelcs recently participated in the Shaking the Foundation Conference at the Stanford Law School as a panelist on the subject of “Battling Goliath: The Impact of Plaintiff-Side Litigation Against Corporate Defendants”.
Areas of Practice
- Securities Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam
- Environmental Law
- Unfair Competition
- Consumer Protection
- Illinois, 1979
- District of Columbia, 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1993
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2005
- U.S. Tax Court, 1984
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Indiana University
- B.A. – 1976
- Major: Political Science, Urban Planning, and Sociology
Honors and Awards
- Leading Illinois Attorney, 1993
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- Finalist for the Trial Lawyers For Public Justice Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Clausen Miller, Chicago, Illinois, Partner